Today is the last day of the month which means its time to wrap up July with the normal monthly summary. July was a fairly quite month as I prepared for my upcoming round the world trip, but I did get a chance to visit Rehoboth Beach, Annapolis, MD and Durham, NC - all of which are close enough to DC to be weekend trips. I also got a chance to celebrate July 4th right here in the District.
I don’t always share things from these smaller trips on the blog, but you can always “like” my Facebook page to get updates and photos as I travel.
L’appel Du Vide Highlights
Obviously the big news this month was my announcement of my RTW trip! I also did a few posts filling everyone in on the major details including my itinerary and my budget. I also talked about ways I was preparing for my trip my saving money and thinking about what electronics I would be bringing.
I still have a lot to do to prepare and you can follow along by checking out my RTW to-do list.
This month I also recapped the highlights from my trip to Chicago. During my stay in the Windy City I was able to do an amazing beer tour as well as check out some highlights of the Chicago food scene. I also got to see some of the famous sites such as the Willis Tower and the Hancock Tower.
As you know, I recently began including blog stats in my monthly updates. Hopefully this will help me (and you all) track my progress on the blogging front.
First up, my social media and ranking stats:
- Twitter Followers: 508 (up from 478)
- Facebook “Likes:” 140 (up from 122)
- RSS Followers: 52(up from 45)
- Google Page Rank: 3 (no change)
- Alexa Ranking: 507,524 (no change)
Next up, money. Here is my earnings graph for the past six months:
As you can see, advertising revenue took a hit these last two months. I really can only attribute that to not having the time to put in the work required to set up these partnerships. Between my full time job and planning my upcoming trip I expect that the hours I can spend on the blog will be cut dramatically. I’d rather devote the time I do have to writing posts and keeping my Facebook and twitter page up to date with photos.
As always, I encourage all you new bloggers to sign up for the Art of Travel Blogging which really helped me network to find additional revenue streams, partnerships and advertisers.
L’appel Du Vide Around the Web
This month I participated in a bunch of great interviews on some other wonderful travel blogs:
- I did a interview about my upcoming round the world trip over on “Don’t Ever Look Back” as part of their RTW soon series.
- Audrey from “That Backpacker” just started a new series about travler’s favorite places. I did an interview about my time hiking in Wadi Mujib in Jordan.
- I also did an interview about traveling with Wez from “Wez Wanders” as part of his Tuesday Talk series.
Other Travel Blogs
This month I wanted to highlight some other travel bloggers who are about to take off on their own RTW trips. I’ve loved reading along while we go through the same steps. Hopefully we can meet up along the road.
- Tony and Steph are the creators of “20 years hence.” Their blog has a lot of great information about preparing for long term travel. Also they have been super helpful in commenting on my blog when ever I’ve had questions about my own preparation.
- Dave and Vicky of “A Couple Traveler’s” leave on their trip in just under two months! They are also from DC and heading out to do their first leg in Asia so we have a lot in common as far as trip prep goes.
- I’ve mentioned Hannah before, but I really love her blog “Further Bound.” It’s full of inspirational quotes and posts about leaving home to travel the world. She is leaving on her RTW trip in 9 weeks!
Well, in the word’s of Porky Pig, that’s all folks. See ya in August!